Monday, December 17, 2012

"You Can't Eat Those Birds"


Hunters from around the country will say that a mallard duck is among the best table fair mother nature has to offer!  An equal amount of hunters will argue that a wood duck eats better and some people think that any species of teal are even better yet!  Having hunted more than 20 states and Canada, I would contend that everyone is right! Waterfowl are a staple around my house in the winter and spring and while I prefer a cast iron dutch oven packed with teal, I don't ever turn my nose up at the opportunity to eat a few snow geese.  Most weekend warriors will swear that the taste of a snow goose isn't tolerable, even by the neighborhood dog.  When I hear that kind of sheepish nonsense come out of someone's mouth, I always ask the same question......"Have you ever even eaten one?"  More often then not, people studder and say, "Well....no.  But, I've got a buddy that tried to cook them one time and he said that they were terrible!"  Truth be told, I would bet my meager paycheck that most hunters wouldn't even be able to taste the difference between a snow goose and any puddle duck.

Wanting a clear conscience, I can't personally take credit for the following recipe.  The recipe below disrupts the contemporary notion that the Lessor Snow Goose isn't fit for a table of kings.
 

Pluck-A-Duck Lodge Snow Goose Rumaki

Ingredients

1.  Snow goose breasts
2.  Soy Sauce
3.  Cooking Sherry
4.  Orange Blossom Honey
5.  Fresh Garlic Cloves


Preperation

Cut the breasts into small chunks.  In a bowl, combine soy sauce and cooking sherry at a ratio of 2/3 soy to 1/3 sherry.  Dissolve 4 to 8 tbs. of honey into soy/sherry mixture.  Crush and add 3 cloves of garlic to the mixture.
 

To marinate, place your snow geese and marinade in a gallon zip lock bag.  Force all of the air out of the bag and press down with weight (we use a plate) to ensure all of the goose meat is covered.  Marinate approx. 4 hours.

 Cooking

After your snow geese have finished marinating, place a slice of water chestnut on each chunk and wrap with a thin slice of bacon.  Skewer each chunk on a wooden skewer and grill to medium rare. (over cooking will result in dry tough meat)

To finish, sprinkle with brown sugar immediately after removing from the grill.


Most people will say, "You Can't Eat Those Birds," but I say you can!

 

1 comment:

  1. Wow...this sounds fantastic. Going to have to save this one for myself. Thanks for sharing!.

    ReplyDelete