Saturday, October 13, 2012



"Meeting Of Minds"

As the summer heat releases its tight grip on the prairie and the humid stagnant air of summer gives way to the first cool winds from the north, wing shooters across the country can no longer ignore the restlessness in their souls. For many, it is time to start locating the gear we left at our buddies houses after last season or to pull the muddy, shot up decoys from the shed and wash them because we failed to do so last year. For others, it’s time to start making lists and scowering the Internet for last minute deals and ammo orders. For a small group of individuals, it’s time to board planes or load trucks and head north to start the hunting season. On the third Thursday of October, I leave the humidity of the south and find myself among the endless corn fields and cotton wood tree lines of northern South Dakota. Every year, 10-15 men gather under 8 common principles to shoot pheasants and join friends from around the country.

These are the principles of the “BCS.”

1. That a good dog is hard to find.
2. That the outdoors may be the only source of clear mind.
3. That I’m never too busy to have a beer with my brothers.
4. That it is never my guide's€, dog's or gun's fault.
5. That my word is my bond.
6. That I would vote and defend this country with my life.
7. That I do good work and stay in touch with my brothers.
8. That before I die, I will teach someone all I know about the outdoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment